This afternoon, Bridget did something very exciting!
Her occupational therapist had told Bridget to practice doing simple, repetitive tasks with her hands, like moving a cup or opening a flip-top bottle cap. Bridget asked if she should practice her knitting, and the PT smiled and said "Well, that would be a lofty goal for now - you're not quite there yet. But hopefully someday soon you could give that a try."
Well, this afternoon Bridget asked me to get her knitting out, and wanted to attempt knitting a single stitch. It took a little while to get her hands in the right place, and then some more time to get it right, but she eventually knit a stitch! Not only that, she immediately was able to do two more, pretty quickly! Everyone was very impressed and pleased by this, but I think no one more than Bridget herself. After she did her first two, she said "OK, I can do this", and I could tell that meant a lot to her.
I just had to take a picture after this momentous event occurred, and here it is (note that the white stuff on her glasses is her eye patch, to help temporarily relieve her double vision) :
Super Bridget!
Sheila also did some checks on Bridget's sensation to cold in her right arm today, and it showed continued improvement today. Bridget was able to feel which finger Sheila was touching the cold object too for all of her right hand, save her ring finger. So that is awesome!
So, tonight we all go to bed with freshly renewed hope for improvements tomorrow :)
Woo hoo! What a good idea to set that up before hand! That's going to be the most meaningful mobius scarf ever. Such good news.
ReplyDeleteHooray for knitting!! Having that scarf waiting for her is seriously good motivation to practice her skills! She must feel so good about it!!
ReplyDeleteYay Bridget! You're inspiring me to start knitting again. And to piggy back onto everyone else's comments from yesterday, I am so grateful for this blog and the daily updates on Bridget's progress. Thank you jeph!
ReplyDeleteJulia
That's wonderful news! Glad to hear things are going better each day. I wish I could be there but here is a hug from Eugene.
ReplyDeleteThe knitting is all the more amazing considering all those tubes she was to work around!
ReplyDelete