Friday, June 29, 2012

The curious arm

I write this post from the Vancouver airport, during a 5 hour layover on my way to Regina, SK. I'm taking an extremely short trip out there (returning Sunday) to look for a house for Bridget and I to rent for next year. I still think it's totally crazy for me to be leaving Bridget during this time, but logically it makes sense to head out now, and Bridget is in good hands with Sheila while I'm gone. I am sad that I won't get to see her in action during therapy though. Wish me luck that I'll only need this one trip out to find the perfect place, so I won't have to leave Bridget again!

Bridget's appetite remains voracious, which is the one funny thing that has come out of this surgery, for everyone, including Bridget. She just wolfs down her dinner, and slurps down protein shakes like nobody's business. While zombies need brains for food, it appears brains need food for, well, brains. Go brain go!

During one of Bridget's OT sessions yesterday she temporarily regained some sensation in her upper right arm. A difficult sensation to describe, she says, but something that told her that her arm was "there". The therapist was having her do some arm stretching exercises, and is just suddenly appeared, like BAM! However, later that night it had disappeared again. But if it can reappear once, I'm sure it will be back. I guess it was just a tease!

Yesterday, while Bridget was napping, she also woke herself up by smacking herself in the face with her (numb) right hand. Probably just a coincidence, but she and I speculated that her brain was trying to do something to reorganize itself with respect to that arm's functioning. However, it may also have been her right hand trying to get back at her brain for disrupting it's sensation.

I had wanted to post a video for all of you of Bridget outside in the sunshine that I took a few days ago. It was Bridget's first time outside of the hospital in two weeks! But sadly, I left my camera at home, so I cannot share right now. Forgetting my camera also sucks because I wanted to show Bridget the possible new houses for us in Regina. Oh well.

In my absence, I probably won't be posting too much, as I'll only get quick phone updates from Bridget. But I'll be back to daily posts on Monday. Also on Monday my Dad is coming out for a short visit (form the 2nd-5th). I am really looking forward to that! Yay for family!

2 comments:

  1. The renewed arm sensation is awesome! Less awesome to accidentally punch oneself in the face, but it just increases bridget's hard core points:) best of luck without The house hunt, Jeff-- I look forward to hearin about the options! Also-- Muscle Milk-- it's good stuff. I'll bring some my next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with housing, Jeff. I hope you find the awesomest loveliest place and bring back pictures to share with Bridget so she can start planning for her garden, where she'll put her knitting paraphenalia, and what room gets to belong to the cats.

    ReplyDelete