Wednesday, June 27, 2012

3 more weeks

Bridget's rehab team met today to determine the course of Bridget's therapy. They figure that Bridget will be in the rehab unit for another 3 weeks or so from today. So, this is the official evidence that the time frame we initially thought Bridget's surgery would follow (which you can find on the right-hand side of this page) is way off. But I think Bridget will shock the team with a very rapid recovery!

Bridget's Mom Sheila arrived last night, and was so impressed with how much Bridget has improved. The last time she saw her, just a week ago, she was still hooked up to IVs and was nowhere near as active as she is now. So far there have been small improvements in Bridget's symptoms everyday, but to see 7 days worth all at once is quite exciting and encouraging. Sheila also trucked some of Bridget's favorite ice cream from Eugene - Prince Puckler's Muddy River. They just don't make ice cream like this is Seattle!

Today in PT Bridget took some steps with a walker - with a lot of help and support of course. She's still a long way from walking on her own, but gets closer each day. Gotta train that brain by moving that body!

Bridget also wishes she could take a movie of what she sees with her crazy double vision. For the last few days at times the image from one eye has been tilted about 45 degrees relative to the other image. A few times last week she also reported that one of the images was closer than the other image (like one was zoomed in). These are definitely errors in the brain, and not errors in the eyes! But hopefully these weird perceptual distortions are evidence that her brain is trying to figure out how to solve this problem.

4 comments:

  1. Prince Puckler's?!! That's awesome brainfood! I miss their mint oreo :)

    Emily and I are looking forward to seeing you three weeks from now after our road trip, go Bridget go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure neither of you is happy that progress isn't as quick as anticipated, but it still sounds like everything is on the right track and that Bridget has the motivation to succeed. Keep it up, Bridget!!!! From a blog reader's viewpoint, you've made remarkable strides in these last couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you Jeff, Bridget is going to surprise that rehab team. She was always at the top of the class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Initial walking is super exciting! Keeping the long view of how much progress has been made since the initial surgery is the way to go-- very encouraging how much has improved since day 1, and I can only imagine with the added benefit of three more weeks of dedicated work, how much better things will continue to be. I hope the vision mellows out soon-- that will make everything so much easier of course. Looking forward to visiting when I get back from CA next week:)

    ReplyDelete